Return to Three-Legged Willie's  Home page

Return to previous page, please use your back button



This page contains the text from some Williamson County Historical Markers; all markers on this page are linked from either the People or Places sections of the web page. http://three-legged-willie.org

For each marker listed below you will find: the text that appears on the marker; the date the marker was erected; the location of the marker; and the type of marker.  Two McNeil High School students typed the following text for inclusion on this page.
Copyright 1999 by Rebecca Osborne, Ph.D.


Andice Baptist Church

    The Rev. Freeman Smalley, one of the first Baptists in Texas, preached in this area about 1850.  This church was organized about 1851, meeting in a log schoolhouse built by Joshua Stapp and others, 1854-76; in a new school building, 1876-94; and in a structure of its own at Pilot Knob, 1894-1936.  Successively called “Stapp”, “White House”, and “Pilot Knob” Baptist Church, the congregation moved to Andice in 1936.  It now worships near the original site, where the first pastor, Josiah Andrews, used to hang his pistol on a peg on the hewn, oak-stump bible stand while he preached.    (1976)

Location:  off FM 970, Andice
18” x 28” Official Texas Historical Marker with post
 


Early Church

    On land given March 8,1845, by John C. Caskey for cemetery and meeting house.  Originally 2-story, the native stone structure is believed to have been built before 1855, financed by J.W. Atkinson and Dr. O. Benedict.  In that era it housed a school, Baptist and Methodist worship services, and Masonic and odd fellows lodges.  It was purchased in 1924 by primitive Baptists and reduced to one story in an extensive remodeling in 1950.    (1970)

Location:  Florence
With 16” x 12” Interpretive Plate
 


Evangelical Free Church

     Swedish immigrant settlers in Williamson County met together in homes for worship services as early as 1884.  In 1891 this congregation was organized in the home of Mr. and Mrs. Sven Peterson by 21 charter members.  Known as Brushy Evangelical Free Church, the congregation built a sanctuary in 1892 on land southeast of Georgetown donated by C. J. Gustafson.  This Georgetown site was acquired in 1960, and a new sanctuary was dedicated in 1963.  This church has been part of Williamson County history for nearly a century.    (1988)

Location:  1322 E. University Ave., Georgetown
18”x 28” Official Texas Historical Marker with post
 


First Baptist Church of Liberty Hill

     Successor to Zion Baptist Church and the Liberty Hill Missionary Baptist Church of Christ, which merged 1854, and met in a brush arbor or in a silent grove school, 4 miles to the west.  When Austin & Northwestern railroad was built, Liberty Hill moved here, and this church was organized (1882), with the Rev. J. A. Arbuckle as pastor.  Members erected their building on this site given by the Rev. W.O. Spencer.  Evangelism, Sunday school, and other endeavors have prospered.  The present church building, in use since 1904, was renovated in 1950.    (1974)

Location:  in Liberty Hill, on SH Loop 332
18” x 28” Official Texas Historical Marker with post
 


First Christian Church of Taylor

     Founded Dec. 9, 1877, with 22 charter members form churches in “Old Home” states.  Gen. R.M. Gano of Dallas preached daily during ensuing week, and 20 others joined the church.  The initial meeting was on an odd fellows hall.  In 1878, a church building was erected.
     Present Gothic Revival Church was built 1891.  Architecture: E. B. Mackin.  Distinctive interior is preserved, although bell tower has been removed.    (1970)

Location:  Corner of 6th and Talbot, Taylor
16” x 12” Interpretive plate with Official Texas Historic Building Medallion
 


First Presbyterian Church of Bartlett

     Built for congregation originally called Nazareth Church of the Central Texas Presbytery, and constituted on Indian Creek in June 1875.  Reorganized here in 1897.
    Sanctuary erected in 1899.  Victorian architecture.    (1970)

Location:  Corner of Pietsch and Lindmann S Bartlett
With 14” x 9” Interpretive Plate
 


First Presbyterian Church of Taylor

     The history of this church can be traced to 1876, when a Presbyterian Congregation here was closely associated with the Presbyterian Church in Georgetown.  The Rev. John McMurray led both congregations, and the earliest written recognition of the Taylor Church appears in 1878 denomination records.
     Trustees for the church purchased this property in March 1878, and a frame sanctuary was completed by Thanksgiving of that year.  A school operated by the Rev. Mr. McMurray was located across the street.
     The Rev. James P. Lyle was called as the church’s first full-time pastor in 1889.  About a year later a home was built on the church property to house the pastor’s family, but it was destroyed in a 1900 fire.
     Denominational records began to refer to this congregation as First Presbyterian Church of Taylor in 1895, following the establishment of a Cumberland Presbyterian Church the previous year.  The two congregations were merged about 1910 and retained the First Presbyterian Church name.  The need for a larger facility soon arose, and a new brick sanctuary was built in 1912-1913.    (1989)

Location:  114 W. Sixth Street, Taylor
27” x 42” Official Texas Historical Marker with post
 


First United Methodist Church

     Organized in 1879; served by circuit riders until 1880, when first building was erected.  The Rev. H. A. Boaz, later Bishop, preached here at opening of his career.
     Present church was built during 1891-92, of native limestone, hand cut at this site.  Robert S. Hyer, Southwestern University physics professor, was both architect and supervisor.  Floor plan is that of the Greek cross.  Former ministers include brothers A. Frank and W. Angie Smith, both later Bishop.    (1970)

Location:  East University Avenue and Ash Street, Georgetown
16” x 12” Building Medallion and Plate
 


First United Methodist Church of Bartlett

     Organized between 1870 and 1875 as the Indian Creek Church, this congregation moved to Bartlett about 1885.  Services were held in a store, schoolhouse, and Baptist church before construction of a Methodist Church in 1890.  Built in 1896, the present sanctuary was enlarged in 1912 and dedicated in June 19, 1921, after a donation by Mrs. T. Morrison helped pay the debt.  Dedication speaker was the Rev. H. A. Boaz, an early pastor here who later became a Bishop and President of Southern Methodist University.  The fellowship grew from 13 members to a peak of 310 in the late 1850s.    (1975)

Location:  Clark Street (FM 487), Bartlett
18” x 28” Official Texas Historical Marker without post for attachment to brick
 


Granger Brethren Church

    Czech protestant immigrants began settling in this area in the early 1880s.  Many of them established family farms in the rich farmland surrounding Granger.
    The Czechs’ first organized worship service was held in a schoolhouse east of town in the early 1880s.  Services were held sporadically whenever a traveling minister was available to preach.  The Rev. Adolph Chlumsky, a Czech Brethren minister from Brenham, encouraged the people here to organize a church.  On July 10, 1892, they officially founded a congregation and elected Chlumsky Pastor.  He commuted from Brenham to serve the congregation for the next 18 years.  The congregation built its first church structure in 1901.
    On December 29, 1903, under the leadership of the Rev. Mr. Chlumsky, the Evangelical unity of the Czech-moravian Brethren in North America (Unity of the Brethren) denomination officially was organized at Granger Brethren Church.
     In 1910 Chlumsky was succeeded by the Rev. Josef Barton, Sr., who became the first resident pastor.  The church continued to thrive over the years, serving the community with a variety of programs.  It remains an important part of Williamson County history.   (1992)
 

Location:  326 W. Broadway, Granger
27” x 42” Official Texas Historical Marker with post
 


Hutto Baptist Church

     Hutto Baptist Church was formally organized in 1882.  Served by ministers Abram Weaver and Joseph Gronde, the congregation met in the local schoolhouse until a sanctuary was constructed in 1883.  Destroyed by a storm in 1886, it was rebuilt twice following storm damage in 1895 and 1921.  A new facility was built in 1922 on the corner of Main and Farley Streets.  A part of Williamson County history for more than 100 years, the congregation of Hutto Baptist Church has been active in both community-oriented and foreign mission projects.    (1836-1986)

Location:  corner of Main and Farley streets, Hutto
18” x 28” Official Texas Historical Marker with post
 


Hutto Evangelical Lutheran Church

     Lutheran Church services in Hutto can be traced to 1890, when ministers M. Noyd and Gustav Berglund of the Palm Valley Lutheran Church at Brushy (now Round Rock) conducted occasional services for the area’s rapidly growing Swedish population.  In 1892 August Sweson led a successful effort to organize the Hutto Evangelical Lutheran Church.  The First Church structure (1893) was destroyed by a tornado and replaced in 1894.  In 1902 a third church building was constructed at this site and dedicated by the Rev. O. H. Sylvan.  Church services were conducted in the Swedish language until 1940.    (1993)

Location:  Corner of Church and Live Oak Streets, Hutto
18” x 28” Official Texas Historical Marker with post
 


Hutto United Methodist Church

     This church was formed from two earlier congregations that worshipped in this area.  In the late 1870s an American Methodist Fellowship began meeting in the Shiloh Schoolhouse (3-mi. SE).  They later shared the building of the Hutto Cumberland Presbyterian Church until a separate sanctuary was constructed.  Area Swedish Methodists began meeting in homes with visiting ministers before starting a church in 1892.  A Hutto sanctuary served the members until a new structure was dedicated at this site in 1911.  The two churches united as one congregation in November 1938.   (1981)

Location:  605 East Street, Hutto
18” X 28” Official Texas Historical Marker without post for attachment to wood
 


Immanuel Lutheran Church

     German immigrants began settling in the New Railroad Town of Taylor I the 1880s.  Lutheran worship services were held as early as 1885, and the Rev. I. J. Glatzle and fourteen families formally organized this congregation in 1888.  The Rev. Gus. Szillat became the church’s first resident pastor when a parsonage was built in 1892.  A frame church building completed in 1894 was destroyed in a 1916 fire, but the congregation soon rebuilt.  Worship services were conducted in the German Language until the 1940s.  The church remains a reflection of the town’s ethnic heritage.    (1994)

Location:  1.5 mi. W of Taylor in CR 404
18” x 28” Official Texas Historical Marker with post
 


Leander Presbyterian Church

     Organized in 1857 by the Rev. R. M. Overstreet, this church was originally known as Pleasant Hill Presbyterian Church and was located in the town of Bagdad.  When the new railroad bypassed Bagdad in 1882 and the town of Leander was founded in the rail line, the church members voted to moved their congregation to the new town.  A church building was erected in 1884, on land belonging to church member Sarah J. Walker, who deeded the property to church trustees in 1895.  Many descendants of early members remain active in the life of the church.    (1836-1986)

Location:  101 N. West Street, Leander
18” x 28” Official Texas Historical Marker, with post
 


Macedonia Baptist Church

     The earliest worship services of this congregation were held in 1881 under a back yard arbor at the home of Matilda Lewis.  Nine families, including those of Robert Lewis, W. Stevenson, Wiley Cleaveland, George Ross, Esaw Beard, Kissiah Jefferson, Anna Akes, Julia Gaines, and Emma Moore, were involved with the church’s organization.  The congregation called the Rev. Mr. Shivers as it’s first pastor.
     When the need for a more permanent church home became evident, trustees Robert Lewis, W. Stevenson, and George Ross selected this site upon which to build a sanctuary.  The small frame structure was used by Macedonia Church members until a new building was erected in 1914.  Additional facilities have been constructed ad needed over the years.
     Affiliated with the La Grange Baptist district association since 1885, Macedonia Baptist Church has hosted district meetings several times.  Many of the association’s leaders throughout the years have been members of this congregation.
     An important part of the religious heritage of Georgetown, the Macedonia Baptist Church continues to be a source of strength and service for the community.    (1836-1986)

Location:  206 Martin L. Ling, Jr. St. Georgetown
27” x 42” Official Texas Historical Marker with post
 


New Bern Church, School and Cemetery

     Swiss and German immigrants who settled here in the early 1890s named their settlement for Bern, Switzerland.  In 1892 the newly organized St. John Lutheran Church built a sanctuary which also housed the New Bern School here on 2.5 acres donated by Daniel Murphy.  The New Bern Cemetery (0.1 miles east of this site) was established on 1895 on 3 acres acquired from Friedrich and Anna Stauffer.  Though a new church building (1912) and schoolhouse (1920) were moved to the nearby community of Wuthrich Hill in 1949, the cemetery continues to serve the community.  (1993)

Location: 4.8 miles northeast of Taylor on FM 619, then 4.5 miles east on CR 414
18” x 28” Official Texas Historical Marker with post
 


New Hope First Baptist Church and Cemetery

     Although Baptist worship services may have been conducted in this area as early as 1848, this church was not formally chartered until 1868.  On October 22 of that year the organizational meeting was held in the home of James M. and Elizabeth Trammell, pioneers of the rural BlockHouse Community.  Six charter members formed the New Hope Missionary Baptist Church of Christ, and the Rev. Thomas F. Bacon was chosen to serve as the first pastor.
The church cemetery was first used in 1869 for the burial of Martha Elizabeth Inman, the wife of Deacon S. C. Inman.  Other marked gravesites include those of settlers who were prominent early leaders of the church and community.
    For over a century the New Hope First Baptist Church has been instrumental in the development of the Cedar Park area.  From 1871 until 1919 the church building was also used for the public school.  Pastors have included such leading Baptist ministers as missionary J. E. Hamilton, who died in Brazil of Yellow Fever, and the Rev. D. E. Simpson, board member and first treasurer of the Texas Baptist Children’s Home, who was baptized and ordained here.  (1983)

Location: 200 W. New Hope Dr., Cedar Park
27” x 42” Official Texas Historical Marker without post
 
 


Palm Valley Lutheran Church

     In area first claimed in 1838 by white men.  Valley bears name of the Anna Palm family, 1853 Swedish settlers.  “Brushy”, the first Lutheran Church (of logs), was built here by Andrew John Nelson and 3 hired men in 1861.  This also housed early school.
     Congregation was formally organized Nov. 27, 1870.  Second church, built 1872, was used for sessions of Palm Valley School.
     Present Gothic revival style building was erected in 1894.    (1970)

Location:  Hwy. 79, 2.5 mi. E of Round Rock
16” x 12” Interpretive Plate, with Official Texas Historical Building Medallion
 


St. John's United Methodist Church

     As early as 1871, pioneer Swedish settlers near Union Hill (4 mi. S), also known as the Brushy Area, were holding Methodist worship services in homes.  In 1882 they formally organized as a Swedish Methodist Episcopal Church.  The congregation moved to this site in 1906, when the present native stone sanctuary was completed.  The name St. John’s was adopted in 1939, and regular Swedish language services ended in the 1940s.  Church programs, however, continue to reflect the ideals, traditions and rich heritage of the pioneer founders.    (1983)

Location:  311 East University Ave., Georgetown
18” x 28” Official Texas Historical Marker without post for attachment to stone
 


St. Peters United Church of Christ

     This congregation was organized in 1894 by German and Swiss immigrants.  Originally known as St. Petri Deutsche Evangelische Gemeinde (St. Peters German Evangelical Church), the congregation built this Vernacular Gothic Revival Sanctuary in 1905-1906.  The meeting hall was added in 1925, and the two structures were connected in 1953.  By 1955 English Language Services, introduced in 1929, had replaced the worship originally conducted in German.

Location: corner of Wathen and Broad streets, Coupland
Official Texas Historical Building Marker without post, for attachment to wood
 


Saints Cyril and Methodius Catholic Church

     The Czechs/Moravians who settled here in the early 1880s initially worshiped in each other’s homes or traveled 12 miles to Taylor, site of the nearest Catholic Church.  As their informal congregation grew so did the community of Granger.  In 1891 they erected a wood frame sanctuary here on land donated by Austinite W. H. Walton, and named their church after the Czech patron saints, Cyril and Methodius.
     During the Rev. Frantisek Machan’s brief tenure as pastor the church formed several fraternal organizations and established a school.  His successor, the Rev. Frantisek Pridal, helped the congregation build a new school building/parish hall in 1912 and replace the original church building with a brick structure in 1916.  Following the death of the beloved Father Pridal in 1927, the Rev. John Vanicek became pastor.  He helped many young parishioners enter the priesthood and sisterhood, and guided several parishioners into leadership roles in stateside Catholic fraternal organizations.
     In 1948 this church became a part of the newlyformed Austin Diocese.  A two-story brick school building was added in 1947, a recreation center in 1959, and a brick convent in 1960.  The church continues to play an integral role in church and community affairs.  (1993)

Location:  Corner of North Brazos and West Davilla Streets, Granger
27” x 42” Official Texas Historical Marker with post
 


Shiloh Baptist Church

     Founded Nov. 2, 1854, by 18 charter members.  Services and revivals were often held under Brush Arbors at two early meeting sites  (Located 3 mi. NE. and 2 mi. S. of here).  Building retains its simple pioneer style even with modern interior and siding.  (1968)

Location:  On building, on St. Hwy. 112, 15 miles southeast of Taylor
14” x 9” Official Texas Historical Marker with post
 


The Tenth Street United Methodist Church

     Services conducted in 1896-98 by the Rev. C. Charnquist in homes of Taylor’s early settlers led to the founding (1900) of the Swedish Methodist Episcopal Church, North.  Buying the chapel of a disbanded group, the congregation increased, moving their church to this site in 1911.  Membership stabilized at about 240 in the 1920s.  In 1935 English became the language in regular use.  National religious trends led to name changes.  The interior of the sanctuary was remodeled in 1950; annex added in 1963.  Twenty-eight pastors have served this church.  (1976)

Location:  10th and Hackberry, Taylor
18” x 28” Official Texas Historical Marker without post
 


Union Hall Independent Missionary Baptist Church of Christ

    Five families withdrew from the Liberty Hill Baptist Church to form an Independent Missionary Baptist Church of Christ on 1888.  The Rev G. W. Capps was called as the first pastor.  A one room schoolhouse was soon erected on donated land.  Housing worship services of all denomination, the school was called the Union Hall.  The community and this church both took the Union Hall name.  A new sanctuary was built in 1924, and the church supported many missionary activities over the years.  Baptisms were held in the South San Gabriel River.  (1836-1986)

Location:  On Co. Rd. 259, 0.5 miles east of US 183, 4 miles southeast of Liberty Hill
18” x 28” Official Texas Historical Marker with post
 


Wesley Chapel African Methodist Episcopal Church
(marker actually reads "Wesley Chapel A. M. E. Church)

     This congregation was organized in 1869 by the Rev. Richard Robert Haywood, an early Texas missionary in the African Methodist Episcopal Church.  Trustees of the church bought land at this site in 1881, and worship services were held in a small wooden building until this sanctuary was constructed in 1904.  Erected during the Rev. J. A. Jones’ pastorate, the Carpenter Gothic style building features a corner tower and lancet windows.  (1984)

Location:  508 West 4th Street, Georgetown
Official Texas Historical Building Marker without post for attachment to wood