Return to Three-Legged Willie's  Home page

Return to previous page, please use your back button



This page contains the text from some Williamson County Historical Markers; all markers on this page are linked from either the People or Places sections of the web page. http://three-legged-willie.org

For each marker listed below you will find: the text that appears on the marker; the date the marker was erected; the location of the marker; and the type of marker.  Two McNeil High School students typed the following text for inclusion on this page.
Copyright 1999 by Rebecca Osborne, Ph.D.



Anti-Slaveholding Union Baptist Cemetery

     This early Williamson County graveyard has been referred to as Smalley Cemetery due to its connection with the family of pioneer Baptist preacher Freeman Smalley.  Early settlers of this area, the Smalleys were associated with the nearby Anti-Slaveholding Union Baptist Church.  Though the oldest grave marker is dated 1853, it is believed that Freeman Smalley, Jr., was the first person buried in the cemetery in 1849.  The land on which the cemetery is located was deeded to trustees of the church in 1854.  (1836-1986)

Location:  2 miles east of Round Rock on US 79, then 0.6 miles north on FM 1460
18” x 28” Official Texas Historical Marker with post
 


Bagdad Cemetery

     Opened 1857 with burial of 3-year-old John Babcock, whose father Charles later gave tract to community.   Other early burials were Civil War veteran  John Haile and Col. C. C. Mason.
    Leander, founded 1882 when railroad bypassed Bagdad, shares use of this tract, enlarged in 1959 and 1966.  (1972)

Location:  FM 2243 1mile west of Leander
14” x 24” Official Texas Historical Marker
 


Cedar Park Cemetery

     George W. and Harriett Cluck settled in this area with their family in the early 1870s, soon after they returned form a cattle drive on the Chisholm Trail.  They built a log home and were instrumental in the community’s development.  In 1901, upon the death of their infant grandson, Emmett A. Cluck, the couple set aside land on their farm for a family burial ground.  The family graveyard became a community cemetery and was formally deeded as such in 1912.  George and Harriett Cluck are buried here, along with many family members and neighbors.  (1989)

Location:  0.2 miles west of US 183 on West Park Lane, Cedar Park
18” x 28” Official Texas Historical Marker with post
 


Cornhill Cemetery

     Established in 1886 on a two-acre site deeded to Cornhill Masonic Lodge No. 567 by Mr. and Mrs. B. F. Bridges.  Interred here are community leaders, three Civil War soldiers, and veterans of other wars.
      Maintained by Cornhill Cemetery Association since 1953, area now six acres.  (1970)

Location: !.5 miles southeast of Jarrell off IH 35, on county road
14” x 24” OTHM
 


Fore Cemetery

     Wiley Fore and his family came to this area from Alabama in 1883.  The Baker Community had been started two years earlier by Fore’s nephew, Robert Baker, and his family.  Soon after his arrival Fore organized the Bethel Cumberland Presbyterian Church and the local chapter of the Grange.  In 1884 he donated a one-acre plot of land for use as a free community cemetery, know as the Fore Graveyard.  The first burials were of two children of the De Luna Family in 1884.  The Fore Cemetery Association was formed in the 1950s to maintain the graveyard.  (1836-1986)

Location:  14.5 miles northwest of Georgetown on FM 2338, left on Co. Rd. 254 1 mile, left on Co. Rd. 255 1 mile, leave paved road for 2.2 miles.
18” x 28” Official Texas Historical Marker with post
 


Hopewell Cemetery

     Pioneers who settled here in the 1840s and established the town of Hopewell faced many hardships, including Indian raids.  Wofford and Mary Johnson and their daughter were killed by Comanches nearby in 1863.  They were buried at this site near the grave of Cornelia Johnson, whose burial is the first recorded here.  The graveyard was deeded to a local congregation in 1877 and in 1966 a cemetery association was formed.  Buried here are area pioneers and their descendants, and veterans of the Civil War.  This cemetery is all that remains of the Hopewell Community.  (1994)

Location:  6 miles west on FM 1869, then 1 mile south on CR 284
18” x 28” Official Texas Historical Marker with post
 


Jolly Cemetery

     This pioneer burial ground is a reminder of the area’s earliest settlers.  It was formally set aside by John Grey Jolly (1825-99) and his wife, Nancy Isabel (Eskew) (1825-1921)—both buried here—for whom Jollyville community was named.  The earliest marked grave is that of Margaret Evergreen Robinson, who died in 1872.  Others buried here include five citizens of the Republic of Texas—members of the Thomas V. S. Stroke Family, who settled in this area of the state in 1841.  The last burial in the Jolly Cemetery, that of Texas Confederate Veteran Charlie Stoke, took place in 1929.  (1836-1986)

Location:  8600 Spicewood Springs Rd., Jollyville
18” x 28” Official Texas Historical Marker with post
 
 


Jonah Cemetery

     Jonah Cemetery was established in 1902 when community leaders J. M. Barrington, W. S. McMakins, C. Brady, A. J. McDonald, and R. H. Northcutt purchased two acres near the San Gabriel River to be used as a  cemetery.  Burials were free to area residents.  The earliest marked grave is that of George N. Northcutt.  Other graves of interest are those of Confederate Veterans Isiah S. Hicks and M. G. Walton,  twin sisters Sarah E. (Yoes) Robbins and Margaret (Yoes) Barrington are interred here near many of their 22 children.  One of the last physical remnants of a once-thriving rural community, the Jonah Cemetery continues to serve the area.   (1998)

Location:  SH 29, 9.5 miles east of Georgetown
18” x 28” Official Texas Historical Marker with post
 


Kimbro Family Cemetery

     This small family cemetery contains the graves of members of a pioneer Williamson County family.  Named for Daniel Kimbro, who was buried here in 1882, the plot remained in family ownership for over one hundred years.
    Daniel Kimbro arrived in the Republic of Texas in 1836, the year independence from Mexico was declared.  Settling first in San Augustine of the Sabine River, he later moved to Bastrop, where he operated a shop dealing in looms, spinning wheels, chairs, and wagons.  He moved to this area in 1946, and lived in a tent on the banks of Brushy Creek.  One of the signers of the petition to create Williamson County, he played an active part in the area’s early development.  He and his wife, Mary Polly (Gilbert) Kimbro, had six children, some of whom are buried here.  Though no headstone has been found for her, it is believed that Mary Polly Kimbro is also interred here with her family.
    For some time in the 1950s, the land surrounding the graves was used for farming, and many of the stones were damaged or removed.  Some may have been plowed under when the land was cultivated.  This cemetery stands as a reminder of Williamson County’s past.  (1836-1986)

Location:  3 miles southwest of Taylor on US 79, then 4 miles south on FM 3349, just north of intersection with FM 1660
27” x 42” Official Texas Historical Marker with post
 


Lawrence Chapel Cemetery

     Adam Lawrence (1799-1878), pioneer farmer and cattle raiser, donated this tract in 1840.  Born in Kentucky, he received a Texas land grant, 1822.  Fought in Texas Revolution (1836) and many Indian battles.  Once jumped horse 20 feet into river below to evade war party.  (1970)

Location:  FM 112, 6 miles southeast of Thrall
14” x 24” Official Texas Historical Marker
 


Liberty Hill Cemetery

     Weathered gravestones show usage of this spot for burials since 1852, when the earliest settlers were establishing homes in area.  The first formal grant of land here as a community burial ground was made by John T. and Amelia Edwards Bryson in 1875, when three and one-half acres were deeded to the Liberty Hill Cemetery trustees: T.N. Bryson, C.C. Chance, W.H. Poole, J.B. Roddy, and T. S. Snyder.  This acreage was protected by a stone fence built with their own hands by the Brysons and their neighbors.  Additions to original plot include land formerly owned by John T. Bryson and donated by Dr. and Mrs. H.L. Fowler.  Royal Arch Masons in 1932 established an adjacent three-acre Masonic cemetery, later transferring title to the Liberty Hill Lodge No.432, A.F. & A.M., which gave it in 1959 to the Liberty Hill Cemetery Association.
     By later land purchases, the cemetery now contains more than twenty acres.  Funds have come by bequests  from Walter Gardner, Arthur Gray, and T.L. McDaniel.  Many other persons have also contributed to funds for the cemetery.  In 1953 the Liberty Hill Cemetery Association was incorporated, with Dr. J. Gordon Bryson as president; C. L. Chance, vice president; C. F. Hickman, treasurer; and Mrs. Letitia Russell, secretary.   (1971)

Location:  2 miles northwest of Liberty Hill, on SH 29
27” x 42” Official Texas Historical Marker
 


Macedonia Cemetery

     According to local tradition a congregation known as the O’possum Creek Church built an all-faiths sanctuary in this area as early as 1858.  During the 1860s the Macedonia community began to develop as English and German immigrants settled in the area.  During the 1870s Macedonia developed into a thriving community consisting of the Macedonia Baptist Church, a Masonic lodge, a gin, a granary, and a general store.
    A parcel of land which later included this cemetery was donated to the community by the S. A. Spiars Family sometime prior to the first recorded burial here, that of J. C. Will on April 22, 1874.
Macedonia residents and businesses began to disperse after the town of Granger was established about two miles east of here on the Missouri, Kansas, and Texas Railroad in the early 1880s.  Eventually, the last remaining physical evidence of the once-thriving community of Macedonia was this graveyard.
    Macedonia Cemetery was abandoned until 1971, when descendants of people buried here formed a cemetery association to restore and preserve the graveyard.  The cemetery remains in use and includes the burials of pioneers of this area and their descendants and veterans of the Civil War.  (1994)

Location:  3 miles southwest of Granger on FM 971, then 0.5 miles south on CR 340
27” x 42” Official Historical Marker with post
 
 


Pennington Family Cemetery

     Born in Fannin County, Texas, during the Republic of Texas Period, John Parker Pennington (1840-1904), lived as a young man in Arizona Territory.  As a member of one of the first families to settle in the territory he survived several deadly encounters with the region’s Native Americans.  He participated in the Civil War then moved his family to Texas in 1867.  The first recorded burial was that of Pennington’s sister, Margaret (Mag) Dennison, in 1872.  John Pennington, his two wives, Emily J. McAllister (d. 1880), and Isabelle Purcell (d. 1916), and their descendants are interred here.  (1995)

Location:  3.5 miles east of Georgetown on FM971
18” x 28” Official Texas Historical Marker with post
 
 


Pond Springs Cemetery

     This graveyard was begun for members of the Pond Springs Community in the 1860s.  The oldest grave is believed to be that of Mrs. Asenath M. Stewart (d. 1862).  Also interred here is Mexican War Veteran William P. Rutledge, Sr. (1815-1890), and Lavinia Hyland Chapman (1844-1929), a citizen of the Republic of Texas.  Although the land was in use as a graveyard years earlier, it was not officially deeded as such by Thomas L. and H. M. Rutledge until 1872, and did not appear in deed records as a cemetery until 1877.  It serves as a reminder of early Pond Springs history.  (1988)

Location:  1.5 miles north of Jollyville on US 183, then 0.6 miles east on FM 620
18” x 28” Official Texas Historical Marker with post
 


Round Rock Cemetery

     Established in the early 1850s in what is now known as old Round Rock, this cemetery is the burial ground of many area pioneers and outstanding Round Rock citizens.  The oldest legible tombstone, which marks the burial site of 11-year-old Angeline Scott, bears the year 1851, although there are many unmarked graves that could date from before that time.
    One-half acre in the northwest part of the 4.5 acre cemetery was used as a burial ground for slaves and freedmen during the nineteenth century.  Numerous war veterans are buried here, as id bank robber and outlaw Sam Bass, who died July 21, 1878, two days after being shot by Texas Rangers in Round Rock.  Others buried in the cemetery include G. T. Cole, one of the few area eye doctors; Round Rock Broom Factory owner Sam Landrum; stonemason John H. Gray; Round Rock Presbyterian Church Minister John Hudson; and Methodist circuit rider J. W. Ledbetter.  One unusual tombstone, which marks the gravesite of Mary Ann Lavender, bears the date February 30, 1870.
    The Round Rock Cemetery, which contains more than 2,000 graves, is a visible reminder of the early history of this part of Williamson County.  The burial ground is cared for by the Round Rock Cemetery Association.  (1983)

Location:  Sam Bass Road, Round Rock
27” x 42” Official Texas Historical Marker with post
 
 


Saul Cemetery

     The Saul Family settled along Brush Creek in Williamson County about 1850.  One brother, Charles Saul (b. 1818) bought this 640-acre tract in 1862.  This part of the ranch was first used as a family burial ground upon Charles’ death on June 22, 1870.  The cemetery has twenty-three marked graves dated from 1870 to 1918, including that of Charles’ wife Louisa (Dawson) Saul (1814-1887).  According to tradition, the cemetery contains a number of unmarked slave graves.  This property has remained in Saul Family ownership for well over a century.  (1982)

Location:  In cemetery on FM 1660, 5 miles southeast of Hutto
18” x 28” Official Texas Historical Marker with post
 
 


Slave Burial Ground in Old Round Rock Cemetery

     Near the gravesite of outlaw Sam Bass, one-half acre of old Round Rock Cemetery was set aside for slave burials.  Enclosed by Cedar posts and barbed wire, sites are marked head and foot with large limestone rocks.  Some rocks are hand-grooved with names and dates.  White graves here are dated as early ad 1851.  The first marked grave of a freed slave is dated 1880.  Although there are 40 to 50 known burial sites of freedman and the burial ground is still in use, no interments of former slaves occurred after the turn of the century.  (1979)

Location:  Old Round Rock Cemetery, Sam Bass Rd., Round Rock
18” x 28” Official Texas Historical Marker with post
 
 


Type Cemetery

     The earliest Anglo settlers of this area came to the vicinity in the 1840s.  They called their community Post Oak Island for an isolated oak grove between Bastrop and Circleville.  Many of these pioneers had moved on by the time Swedish and Danish immigrants arrived in the 1890s.  Swedish-born August Smith owned a store which straddled the line between Bastrop and Williamson Counties.  Smith opened the Type Post Office in that store in 1902, probably naming the community for the printing machine owned by his friend Jonas Sunvison.
    The Type Cemetery was established on land conveyed by Peder and Christine Nygaard when the Swedish Free Mission Church was founded in May 1908.  The tombstones of Anna Amalia Hansen (Hanson) (d. 1910) and Christina Fredrickson (d. 1915) are inscribed in Swedish, merely one indication of the strong cultural identification of the early settlers with their homeland.  Burials before 1950 are primarily those of members of the Carlson, Hanson, Nygard, Nyman, and Swenson Families.
    The small number of Scandinavian burials in the cemetery after 1950 reflects the group’s assimilation into American culture and the dispersal of local young people to cities.  In 1954 the Swedish Free Mission Church merged with Kimbro’s Free Church.  Of the 36 graves counted in 1998, eleven were those of Swedish immigrants and fifteen were first or second generation Scandinavian Texans.  Several Mexican graves were located on the eastern edge of the cemetery.  The Yegua Creek Evangelical Free Church, which relocated to this site in 1987, maintains the Type Cemetery.  (1998)

Location:  1300 CR 466, Coupland
27” x 42” Official Texas Historical Marker with post
 
 


Wilson Spring Cemetery

     Located on land originally granted to George Washington Glasscock, the Wilson Spring Cemetery was established by the family of John S. Wilson, who purchased the land in 1854.  His brother, Robert W. Wilson, acquired the land in 1857, and a community which built up in the area of a nearby spring became known as Wilson Spring.  John S. Wilson was the first to be buried on the family farm in 1874.  The land was formally deeded as a public cemetery in 1899 and serves as the burial place for the Wilson Family and their neighbors.  (1988)

Location: 2.8 miles north of Taylor on CR 369, then continue 0.9 miles west on CR 369 to cemetery gate
18” x 28” Official Texas Historical Marker with post